What would you like to see of a new version?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What would you like to see of a new version?

Post by apn on Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:20 am

I have my own ideas (about to rush out so will post later) but wondered what anyone would like to see from a new version of the game.

apn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you like to see of a new version?

Post by apn on Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:01 am

For my part I'd like to see the powers completely revised. The game is firmly rooted at street level but some powers are pretty much useless. Why anyone would bother with claws is beyond me, though if it were upgraded so that Claws reduce Damage Dividers with every grade (and increase damage) that would make them worthwhile. The range (20m or 40m) is also pretty useless, and I've house rule a fair bit of this stuff for my PBEM campaign. Flight/Running speed is another issue, and the vague nature of field manipulation needs sorting out. Telekninesis being able to move small objects etc. I understand that the rules for GH/SQUK are the baseline, the starting point for new characters, but when you introduce more powerful characters (usually NPCs) you end up 'handwaving' much of their abilities to bring them up in power levels.

I'd ditch Defence Class for tough skin/armour. The slower you are, the easier you should be to hit. Instead every grade would increase dividers. Agility, Speed, Gymnastics, Reactions and one or two other abilities would reduce Defence Class.

Come to think of it, I might as well write my own house ruled version of SQUK as it's pretty much done, just needs adding to Smile

apn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinrolfe on Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:13 pm

i would love to see it more grounded in history, for example i would have a heroes through history. showing events which Heroes were responsible for.

Something like, HMS Dreadnaught 1906 . Was named after the Gifted Chap who called himself Dreadnaught. but with a little bit more depth.

it gives a sense of them always being there. another expanded example

Postman Park in London has a number of plaques around the Fountain, placed there by George Frederic Watts, who had been saved from certain death by a chap calling himself the Postman, a gifted chap. George placed each of the handmade plaques himself right up to his death in 1904, his wife took over this role.(Today the names of real heroes can be seen on the walls.) Under foot around the fountain the names of the fallen Victorian and Edwardian Heroes can found.

This would be a great adventure hook if the PC chases a villain into the park only to find their names on a plaque, later searches in the National Archives show a D-Notice is still in place from 1912, which covers that plaque…the rest writes itself

kevinrolfe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Leigh9 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:59 pm

1/2 frame punch rules.
Every speedster asks for it.
Sad

Leigh9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by apn on Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:38 pm

I'd like to see a standard DC 10 across the board reduced by 2 for every grade of Speed, Agility, Gymnastics etc, so Speed has benefit there. As for the 1/2 frame punch, I'd rather see a superspeed flurry whereby the character tires themselves out/risks breaking their hands but increases damage by x2 or more from sheer volume of punches. Getting in a quick 'half punch' would be one option, but getting in 100 punches in the blink of an eye would be another, I reckon Smile

apn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:05 pm

I'd just like to see the game brought up to date, while retaining as much of it's unique charm as possible. I know, not asking for much, right? I'd like to see the powers revised so that you could simulate higher power characters, i'd like to see a task resolution system of some sort added but would be happy to keep the combat system pretty much as is.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://eaglesnest.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinrolfe on Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:25 pm

There are some missing rules the one that comes to mind is damage from thrown objects. there are rules for throwing, catching. and hitting with but a soon as the item (a car for example) hits someone the rules are fuzzy.

I mentioned this to Simon at Dragonmeet so hopfully it will find its way into Version 2.2

kevinrolfe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by apn on Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:12 am

Characters may need more stats, and some kind of task resolution system. In the homebrew games I tinker with, I generally treat Stat as bonus these days. Saves looking stuff up on tables. 0 would be the average stat for a human adult, and 3 max non super. After that, sky's the limit!

For generating stats, I figure 1d6 three times for each. Roll of 1 gives -1 adjustment, roll of 5-6 gives +1 adjustment to give a range of -3 (rally bad) to +3 (Batman level). Then use 3D6 with triples exploding or 2d10 or 2d12 etc + stat, doubles explode to exceed target number. In combat the more you exceed target number, the more damage you inflict, so one roll for hit/damage. Well, that's how I'd do it anyway. Cut out the tables, speed things up, roll one kind of die for the whole game.

apn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by steveraceuk on Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:31 am

Interesting idea. Keeps the flavour of the original but mixes it up a bit.
steveraceuk
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBadJohn on Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:05 pm

If there's one thing I'd change about the SqUK generation procedure, it'd be Characteristics before power rolls, as they give a broad hint to the original identity.

BigBadJohn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinrolfe on Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:11 pm

That makes sense as you would (grearally), be a normal human first then a super

kevinrolfe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top