The Eagle's Nest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What house rules are you using?

5 posters

Go down

What house rules are you using? Empty What house rules are you using?

Post by apn Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:21 am

I'll list mine later on, just wondered what you use to make the game run sweeter.

apn

Back to top Go down

What house rules are you using? Empty Re: What house rules are you using?

Post by steveraceuk Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:28 am

I'll have to wait for Kevin Rolfe to jump in on this one as he's been our most recent SQUK gm. I know he came up with his own task resolution table amongst other things
steveraceuk
steveraceuk
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by apn Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:49 am

Well I'm using 2D10 (doubles explode) instead of 1D20, a one roll hit/damage to speed things up no end, and Energy attacks multiply damage. If you have 15 energy over 5 rounds, each 1 point is x1 multiplier of damage, up to x5 (or x8 with high power blast). Works out MUCH faster with combat and I can whizz out a full multi combatant round in one post.

Have loads more house rules but tend to handwave certain things like task resolution. Don't use the Campaign Ratings but considering doing something with them when the campaign switches timelines again.

apn

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonshadow Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:57 am

Could you please expand on this? Combat is taking too long with the standard rules...

Moonshadow

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinrolfe Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:19 pm

I have run Combat a number of time under each of the editions and not found it to take long, i have run a campaign for 8 player and the combat ran quite fast. i use a combat sheet tracker i created. (pm me with your email address and ill send copies)

going back a post or two, i have a small resolution matrix i use to resolve things, but for the most part the Campaign ratings allow resolution of the bulk of issues, spot hidden etc

That said i have a habit of forgetting rules and make stuff up as i go, as long as the story keeps flowing if you need to resolve something and cannot remember a rule roll a d6 and if its 5 or 6 it succeeds. and that rule is the simplest to use.

i am currently working on simple rules for Robot/Android/Automaton/Simulacrum creation.

kevinrolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by apn Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:59 pm

I'll dig up my house rules document.

For combat, I used 2D10 (with double 1 auto fail and other doubles exploding)

Add WC of Attacker
Add DC of Defender*
Subtract 17

If remaining total is 1 point or more the attack is a hit and every point of 1 or more is treated as accuracy, and inflicts 1 point of damage.

If using a hand to hand attack, add 1 point of damage per accuracy point, up to 12 (max you can roll on 2d6) Add strength bonus to htc or htk as you see fit (or split)

If an energy attack, decide how many energy points you are using (up to 5 for a normal blast) this multiplies your accuracy. Spend 3 points, you have x3 damage, for instance.

Hadn't quite gotten round to fixing strength (to give a damage multiplier rather than bonus, but by then I was reconsidering writing the whole game from scratch. Still might one day.)

May look complicated, but here's an example:

Wolf Guy (with claws, Naturally) has WC3, DC5 and Claws (max 2d6htk, d6+3htc) attacks Energy guy (who has energy blast 15 points, WC3, DC6)

Wolf guy rolls 14. Plus WC3 (17) plus DC6 of defender (23) subtract 17. That's 6 points of accuracy. Add 9 points from Htc and 6 points from htk. He inflicts 15htc, 12htk with his claws!

Energy Guy blasts Wolf Guy with 5 Energy points. He rolls 8,8. That's a double! (16) so he rolls again... 5,4. Total 25 rolled + WC3 + DC5 (of Wolf Guy) =33. Less 17 means 16 accuracy! Multiply that by 5 and you get 80 points of damage, split 40htc, 40htk! Chances are Wolf guy is going DOWN! (Unless he has damage dividers)

And that's it. Once you've done a few combats you can rattle them out quickly.

The +9 Htc for Wolf guys htc comes from the max roll he can get with his claws (6 on d6) +3 (because shis htc damage is 1d6+3). Add any strength modifier to htc or htk as you see fit.

*Defence is one of the things I have a problem with. We've finished the Golden Heroes campaign now (yesterday in fact) but had already changed the DC rules for a speedster. The faster he got, the lower DC he had, and those with tough skin/armour got an extra divider or two and were DC10. Thus, much easier to hit, but damage divided quite a lot.

With Superspeed, Agility, Reactions and a couple of other things you could get a negative DC which would make it much harder to hit.

Example:

Lionheart (DC-3 from various bits) is attacked by Laser Guy. Laser Guy has WC2 and rolls 15. His attack is 15+2 (WC) -3 (Lionhearts DC) which means he gets 14 total. You need 18 or more to get 1 point of accuracy! He misses, and Lionheart charges in to flatten the guy... pow!

Doubles help enormously and can swing the tide of any battle instantly.

Hero points buy extra d10. You get 1 D10 extra per HP, roll 2d10 (to make sure you don't get double 1) then roll extra d10 (1 per hero point). Pick which two dice to use, drop the rest.

Fate points are spent one at a time. Roll 2D10, drop a die and assume that the replacement die (bought with a fate point) is the same as the remaining die, so you get a double, automatically.

Needless to say Hero Points are spent all the time, Fate points are rare and hard to get hold of, and spent to 'save the world' sort of thing. Or save your hide from the bruiser.

We're switching to DC heroes RPG (Megs version) for our play by post game, but I'll doubtless come back to Golden Heroes one day.

Last edited by apn on Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:03 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spellyng)

apn

Back to top Go down

Post by apn Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:00 pm

I haven't read it but Codename Spandex is a retro clone of Golden Heroes, might have some decent house rules in. I think it's been sufficiently changed to avoid GWs legal wrath, so not sure if its compatible with GH.

apn

Back to top Go down

Post by Simonpaulburley Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:36 pm

Codename spandex is pure original gh and looks great. It's free and worth looking at. If you yearn for old time gh.

Simonpaulburley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down