NEO LONDON - THE SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

NEO LONDON - THE SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME...

Post by doctorx on Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:11 pm

SQUADRON UK: NEO LONDON.

The Shape of Things to Come...

'You asked me once,' said O'Brien, 'what was in Room 101. I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world.'

Winston looked, but he could see nothing. No threat, no horror, no implement of pain or promise of torture. He did not understand.

'The worst thing in the world,' said O'Brien, 'varies from individual to individual. It may be burial alive, or death by fire, or by drowning, or by impalement, or fifty other deaths. There are cases where it is some quite trivial thing, not even fatal.'

Winston cast his eyes about the room. There was no wire cage, no fencing mask, nothing the dread forebodings of his imagination had promised.  

'In your case,' said O'Brien, 'the worst thing in the world happens to be rats.'

And his form began to change, subtly at first...

George Orwell:  Neo 1984: Secker & Warburg, June 1948.

THEN:

PATHÉ NEWSREEL: MAY 3RD, 1951:

“NEO LONDON, JEWEL IN BRITAIN’S CROWN, RISES TRIUMPHANT FROM THE ASHES OF THE WAR, AS TYPIFIED BY TODAY’S OPENING OF THE FESTIVAL OF BRITAIN.

PRIME MINISTER CLEMENT ATLEE, SEEN HERE GREETING THE UNITED KINGDOM’S PREMIERE SUPERHERO, JOHN BULL, COMMANDER OF THE NEWLY-FORMED EXTRANORMAL  ASSOCIATION OF GOVERNMENT LAW ENFORCERS, CALLS THE FESTIVAL “ ONE UNITED ACT OF NATIONAL REASSESSMENT, AND ONE CORPORATE REAFFIRMATION  OF FAITH IN THE FUTURE OF THE NATION  THAT WITHSTOOD BLITZ AND FLYING BOMB, V-2 AND  MÖRDERTRON. “

CROWDS ARE SEEN HERE FLOCKING TO THE DOME OF DISCOVERY, THE FESTIVAL PLEASURE GARDENS, ABOVE ALL, THE HALL OF HEROES, AND IF THEIR ENTHUSIASM IS ANYTHING TO GO BY, BRITAIN IS BACK, AND BY GOLLY, LOOK, UP IN THE SKY’S NO LONGER THE LIMIT!”

NOW:

HEADLINES: JUNE 18TH, 2014:

THE HOUR: “MIDDLE EAST IN MELTDOWN. Prime Minister insists there are “no plans” to deploy British conventional or extra-normal forces. U.S denies reports that TASKFORCE FREEDOM has returned to the Persian Gulf. Former PM calls for super-powered intervention: “I mean - hey – look - you know, we’ve really got to get over the idea that we’re responsible for any of this...” “

THE DAILY CLARION: “KRYPTONITE: THE REPORT THAT WILL SHOCK BRITAIN. Four-page exclusive on the new drug menace threatening our streets that every parent should read.” Reporters: J. Peters, B. Chancellor.

THE DAILY EMPIRE: “A MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S MADNESS. 40,000 migrants from Faerie set to flood UK. (Go to empireonline/feyout@sgmail.com  to sign our petition for stronger magical border controls).”

THE SHOUT: “GOOD GIRL TART! Squadron H-Factor’s sexy Stacey unmasks and more in 100 Club lash-up!  Cor, what a crime-buster! See page 3 for details! (Photos courtesy of Shutterspeed plc).”

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, Masks and mortals – welcome to Neo London.

More to follow...

doctorx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NEO LONDON - THE SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME...

Post by BigBadJohn on Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:52 pm

Hee hee, "former PM" - I can just picture TB voiced by Rory Bremner!

BigBadJohn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by steveraceuk on Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:08 pm

Great stuff!
steveraceuk
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

NEO LONDON - THE SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME

Post by doctorx on Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:42 pm

Hello again, and welcome to Neo London! I hope the above has given you an idea of both the setting and the flavour of the campaign. As I have posted previously, this is present-day London, but a present that is not quite our own. Super powers and superheroes/villains are an established fact and have been for quite some considerable time, with everything that implies.

A few random thoughts and observations to help set the scene further:

1) This is a Superhero comic! I know that seems kind of obvious, but with the state of the comic-book industry today I think it bears repeating. Anything and everything that goes on in a mainstream comic-book (and some of the more off-the-wall ones) can and probably will happen here!  If you like your comics remorselessly grim and gritty, if you think it’s cool for a Superhero to mow down his opponent’s with a very big gun without any comeback, if you think Frank Miller’s ALL-STAR BATMAN & ROBIN was a great work of artistic truth and beauty... you may take a little while to adjust to NEO LONDON in all it’s bizarre glory.

2) Veterans of this game may well have already noticed occasional references to established characters from GOLDEN HEROES myth and legend of yesteryear. This is all quite deliberate. LEGACY OF EAGLES is one of my favourite RPG scenarios EVER! It’s right up there with PENDRAGON’S THE GREY KNIGHT, and trust me, that’s very high praise indeed!  Very Happy 

That said, there’s precious little point in playing something where we all know what’s going to happen before we start, so while I may well use characters and situations already grounded in the game’s history, you are advised to take NOTHING for granted!  People you may think you know will prove to be completely different. Long-established villains may prove to be entirely innocent!  Historic allies may prove to be anything but! Or they more prove to be just the same!

I think what I’m trying to emphasise is – be ready for me to throw you some surprises . The game’s no fun if it’s predictable, and I wouldn’t be much of a GM if I hadn’t taken steps to stir the pot a little...  Wink 

3) A few sources that have inspired this campaign have already been mentioned, but I’ll throw in a few more to help give you an idea of where we may be heading...

Alan Moore and Neil Adams THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN.

Steve Parkhouse’s, John Stokes’ and Paul Neary’s amazing run on THE BLACK KNIGHT in MARVEL UK’S HULK COMIC back in the late 70’s.

Okay, in fact, pretty much anything in HULK COMIC under the editorship of the legendary Dez Skinn. (Particularly NIGHTRAVEN!)

David Thorpe’s, Alan Moore and Alan Davis’ CAPTAIN BRITAIN. To quote a great post I’ve just read; “Terror and laughter are continually counter-pointed against each other in Moore's Captain Britain, which prevents the reader ever feeling as if they're trudging through yet another bleak'n'gritty superhero cliche.” Quite brilliant work. If you haven’t read this, please do yourselves a favour. (UPDATE: PROFUSE APOLOGIES TO JAMIE DELANO, WHO TOOK OVER WRITING DUTIES AFTER ALAN MOORE LEFT AND DID A SUPERB JOB! HIS WORK IS ABSOLUTELY AN INFLUENCE HERE!!)

Pretty much anything in WARRIOR MAGAZINE 1982 – 1985. Marvelman, V for Vendetta – and Dez Skinn again. ‘Nuff said!

Okay, I know a couple of you are waiting on answers to PM’s, and I still need some information about skills and supporting cast from some people. I’ll try and catch up in the next 24 hours or so. We’re on the runway, folks. Stand by for lift-off!  Very Happy

Last edited by doctorx on Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

doctorx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinrolfe on Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:55 pm

Excellent

kevinrolfe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by doctorx on Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:24 pm

Hi, all! Just a quick update to let you know things are still on the move! It may seem it's gone quiet, but that's because I'm still dealing with loads of PMs from you and a fair few of us are clearly very busy right now! No rush or pressure on anyone - I'm using the time to come up with some more bad guys to unleash on you! (I came up with a DOOZY of a bunch in the wee small hours of this morning when I couldn't sleep - hopefully they'll be a lot of fun, if a trifle weird!  Laughing )

I will try and get up a little more background in the next couple of days - probably in the way of some more news headlines. Hopefully that'll wet your appetite some more and help with your own creating!

I also note that some of you have sent me pictures of your characters, which is great! If you can do this feel free - I like to get a visual idea of what I'm working with in comic book terms, but - speaking as someone who can't draw to save his life - no pressure if you can't! I'm working on trying to find a way to heromachine or similar pictures of the bad guys, assuming I have the time and the patience to master that little pile of technology, but quite how I'll get them up on the web I have no idea!  Embarassed 

"Puny machine - X smash!!"

Smile

Can I also just check if anyone is waiting for anything from me regarding rolls/skills/ruling on powers etc? Profuse apologies if I've left anyone hanging, but I've had a lot of information to process, and doing it via PM can make it a little tricky to keep track of everything. (I know, I know - my fault! Hey, it seemed like a good idea at the time...  Laughing )

doctorx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jamat on Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:18 pm

Nothing for me I'm set with character write up and background Smile

jamat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top