ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by doctorx on Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:20 pm

ISSUE ONE:  ‘THE VERY AIR ITSELF IS FILLED WITH MONSTERS...’

An establishing shot of the Neo London skyline, all glittering neon and elegant, reaching skyscrapers. A few landmarks help to ground us – Tower Bridge, the Neo London Eye, the Houses of Parliament, Big Ben looming reassuringly above. A glorious full moon adorns the sky, stars on full display, only the occasional wisp of cloud obscuring their brilliance. It’s a beautiful night.
Pan in on the River Thames, flowing sedately below us. Making its way regally downstream a large, elegant white yacht, the name
AURORA is evident on her stately prow as a cavalcade of fireworks explode into life overhead.
In voice-over, we hear the excited, professionally-polished tones of TANYA TATE.


TANYA: Yes, the stars are out tonight in more ways than one as the great, the good, the glamorous, the famous and the favoured gather here in Neo London aboard the luxury yacht AURORA to give thanks for a miracle and see what they can do to maybe make a few more happen...

Cut to a close up of TANYA, a seasoned professional, camera-friendly brunette, talking excitedly into the screen, as elegantly-tuxedoed gentleman and beautifully-gowned women mingle in the background behind her, laughing and drinking, waiters and waitresses scurrying anonymously between them as cameras flash and flicker.

TANYA: I’m Tanya Tate, reporting for Horizon T.V. from what’s been called a helping hand for hope and a celebration of second chances as cutting edge computer company Sphere Systems holds what is being described as the party of the year to give thanks for the miraculous recovery from previously-diagnosed terminal cancer of their CEO Gary Blake, and to raise funds for the Royal Marsden Hospital, so instrumental in his return to health. The guests are many and varied, but all are unanimous in their praise for the man and the institution that helped save his life...

We cut to a series of close-ups:

A  dark-haired, lanky man speaking in a Scottish accent.


CAPTION: “DAVID TENNANT – ACTOR.”

TENNANT: Gary’s a great guy. It’s amazing to have him back. More people should get that chance. That’s why we’re all here.

A hearty-looking man in late-middle age, his smile as polished as it is fixed. Beside him stands his younger, pretty (the unkind might be inclined to say trophy) wife, smiling up at her husband supportively.

CAPTION: "SIR EDWARD HATHRINGDON – MINSTER FOR SUPERHUMAN AFFAIRS."

HATHRINGDON: Sphere Systems is good for business and good for Britain, and so is Gary Blake. This Government is committed to supporting centres of excellence like the Royal Marsden and Sarah and I are delighted to be here. It’s going to be a great night!

A smiling man in his mid-thirties, good-looking if a little overweight; a sense of the good life starting to take its toll on him.

CAPTION: "PHILIP AKER: CO-EXECUTIVE, SPHERE SYSTEMS."

AKER: Yeah, we’re hoping it’s going to be special, you know? We’re genuinely touched by how many people have turned out. Gary deserves it and everyone at Sphere Systems has worked flat out to make this happen.

Three giggling mid-to late-teen girls clad in frankly worryingly revealing costumes, their faces disguised by domino masks. This is hot teen super-girl band of the moment MASKS R LOUD.

CAPTION: "HIGH GIRL, HOT GIRL, GO GIRL: MASKS R LOUD."

HIGH GIRL: Hi! We’re –

ALL THREE:(STRIKING A POSE, CHARLIES ANGELS STYLE) MASKS R LOUD!!

GO GIRL: And we’re loud and proud tonight for Sphere Systems –

HOT GIRL: – And the Royal Marsden!

GO GIRL:(CONFUSED) Huh? Oh, yeah! Right! (Royal who..?)

Another pretty young girl, this one dressed in a cat-suit seemingly made up of numerous, constantly shifting, glowing colours, the domino mask she wears of a similar design, and her hair is similarly multi-coloured.

CAPTION: "COSPLAY – SQUADRON H-FACTOR CONTESTANT."

COSPLAY:(SMILING INANELY INTO THE CAMERA) I can do Supergirl...

A momentary blur of the spectrum as she takes on the form of the Maid of Steel.

COSPLAY: An’ the Black Widow...

She changes again to resemble Scarlett Johannssen in a black cat suit.

COSPLAY: ...An’ all the Powerpuff Girls!

A dizzying shifting between Mangaesque super-powered moppets before she resumes her own shape.

COSPLAY:(GIGGLING EXCITEDLY) Cool, innit?

Close-up of an elderly, shrewd-looking man, gazing into the camera with beady eyes.

CAPTION: "LAMBERT MACKENZIE – CHIEF EXECUTIVE: MEDIA INTERNATIONAL."

MACKENZIE: I employ you. No comment.

A dangerous pause, then he winks at TANYA and lets out a wizened, knowing cackle.

An angry-looking hoodie-wearing young man, a half-mask vaguely in evidence beneath the shadow of his hood.


CAPTION: "CHAVBUSTER: SQUADRON H-FACTOR CONTESTANT."

CHAVBUSTER: If it woz down to me, like, I’d be out on the streets doin’ mah job, yeah? But Mister Wonderful, he sez I’s - wossit? – “jus’ annuver wannabe gangsta-basher.” Don’ diss me, Mister W! I can do compassion! Dis is me, givin’ it the compassionate! Remember that when it comes to tha audience vote, people! Jus’ ‘cos I’m ‘ard don’ mean I’m ‘eartless! (Making some weird, half-fist/half-vee-sign symbol) Respect and vigilance!

An overweight, middle-aged man sporting a large drink and a vaguely laughable perm.

CAPTION: "JEREMY CLARKSON: TOP GEAR PRESENTER."

CLARKSON: The BMW i8: not a bad little motor. (PAUSE) Gary who..?

Back to MASKS R LOUD.

GO GIRL: This Marsden; you reckon he knows Prince Harry..?

HOT GIRL: Shut up.

And we’re back with TANYA again. Pulsing, throbbing music is beginning to start up in the background.

TANYA: That was just some of the action earlier tonight and, as you can hear, the party’s starting to get into full swing! MASKS R LOUD are up on stage, the atmosphere is electric and – and yes, here he is! The miracle-man of the hour, CEO of Sphere Systems, Gary Blake himself!

Cut to a shot of an opening door as GARY BLAKE, flanked by his beautiful wife HELEN and his partner PHILIP AKER, step out onto the deck of the Aurora to the accompaniment of a fusillade of camera flashes, a swelling wave of cheers and applause, and a distant whirr of circling helicopters...

(Gentlemen; such is the scene. As and when your character appears in costume, please begin to post in game. While you remain in secret identity mode if I can please ask you to continue to PM for the present?

Issue One begins...  Very Happy)


Last edited by doctorx on Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

doctorx

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by doctorx on Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:25 pm

The party moves into full swing.

Up on stage we see the girls of MASKS R LOUD beginning to gyrate as a throbbing, pulsing backing-track pumps out from the large speakers set on either side of them. Behind, a group of suitably-statuesque male dancers dressed in white lab coats and dark glasses begin an equally-tightly choreographed routine as HIGH GIRL, the slim, assured brunette of the young domino-masked threesome, breaks into song:


HIGH GIRL:(SINGS) ”Well my countdown clock is ticking, warning sirens start to sound,
                                 ‘Cos the monster in me’s kicking whenever you’re around.
                                 This experiment is loading, all the bunker doors are closed,
                                  And my passions are exploding as my beast within’s exposed...”

We see GARY BLAKE moving out into the admiring throng of well-heeled well-wishers, his lovely wife on his arm, his beaming partner at his shoulder. BLAKE shakes numerous hands, poses for the occasional selfie, the epitome of health,wealth and happiness. He is speedily approached by KLAUS STEINBECK, the tall, jovial CEO of  Überherrn Technologien,who envelopes his rival in a bear-hug, the pair of them laughing and smiling for the continuously-flashing cameras. The Minister SIR EDWARD HATHRINGDON steers himself and his wife into position behind these two captains of the information technology industry, ever-conscious of a potential media opportunity.

Up on stage, the song and dance continues, red-head HOT GIRL now taking the vocal:


HOT GIRL: (SINGS) “Doc, I dig your quantum theory, but baby, can’t you see
                               That whenever you get near me my green side’s breaking free?
                               So please try to understand me, I really wish you would.
                               You wouldn’t like me when I’m angry, darlin’ -


ALL THREE MASKS: Gamma ray me good!”  

The backing dancers throw off their lab coats and shades to reveal naked torsos and tattered purple leggings as the lights change and the UV body-paint they have been covered in contrives to give an appearance of their skin turning green. Howls and whoops of approval from the audience.

But suddenly there is movement in the vicinity of BLAKE and STEINBECK. One of the numerous, almost anonymous waiters moving quietly and efficiently amongst the crowd is suddenly tearing towards the pair shouting something, although his words cannot be heard over the pulsing din of the music. In a single deft move we see him tear an automatic pistol from inside the jacket of the tall, powerfully-built (presumably Special Branch) man standing behind SIR EDWARD HATHRINGDON.

But now a tall, elegant Asian woman steps suddenly into the path of the onrushing gunman.  A blur of motion and the latter is sent flying back to crash into a table of
hors d'oeuvres, raising a chorus of shrieks and exclamations from the assembled glitterati.

The gunman is instantly surrounded by security guards, all pointing a miscellany of deadly-looking firearms at the man’s head.

And in the night sky above, a ‘whuup, whuup, whuup’ of helicopter rotor blades, soft at first, but coming rapidly closer...

doctorx

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by doctorx on Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:11 pm

At this point in the proceedings, several things happen at once.

Those close to the vicinity of the mystery gunman are amazed to see the man suddenly fade into near invisibility, only a ghost-like outline of his form now visible. A number of screams break out as the Asian woman who felled the attacker previously moves gracefully to position herself between the obviously-super-powered threat and KLAUS STEINBECK, a look of suspicion on her face.

Simultaneously, BLAKE hustles his wife away from the mayhem, pausing only to smash the glass on a fire alarm, which promptly begins to wail its alert throughout the yacht. The band and dancers up on stage pause in their routine, confused (and the girls seemingly more than a little irritated) by the sudden disruption, though the backing track continues to pulse on, oblivious to the drama beginning to unfold.

But even as this happens and the crew begin to move to evacuate the passengers into the lifeboats with a smooth, well-drilled efficiency, the drone of helicopters drowns all as two powerful, military-looking machines come sweeping down out of the night from over the dome of Saint Paul's. Like a couple of predatory wasps they move to hover above the yacht fore and aft, the pulsing throb of their rotor blades causing the milling passengers below to instinctively duck their heads, their elegant clothes flapping wildly in the sudden artificial gale.

We see large doors slide back on the choppers with a clang. There is a
hiiiissss of descending rope lines snaking deck-wards, and then both helicopters begin to disgorge a number of battle-dressed individuals, faces covered by ski masks, all of them toting what appear to be automatic weapons. They proceed to rappel down to the yacht below with military, practised precision.

And now the crew on the starboard side of the AURORA, who were previously ushering the passengers towards the lifeboats, now seem to be trying to push them back as warning shouts start to go up.

For the water to starboard is starting to froth and bubble.
Something is beginning to emerge...

doctorx

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by doctorx on Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:31 pm

With a heavy 'THHUDD' of combat boots striking decking, the gunmen are aboard, some racing off with well-planned efficiency in the direction of the ship's bridge and engine-room, the majority concentrating on herding passengers and crew together in a huddle on the main deck. Shouts, screams and exclamations of horror and outrage are interrupted by a sudden "BUDDA-BUDDA-BUDDA" of warning gunfire fired above the guests heads. Everyone who can ducks for cover.

Meanwhile, to starboard...

There is a dull whine of machinery in operation amidst the hissing foaming waters below as first the conning tower, then the deck of a compact but by no means midget submarine breaks surface, gliding alongside the yacht like some sleek, predatory steel shark. A section of the deck suddenly slides back with a hiss, and a platform begins to rise with slow, deliberate purpose to draw level with the
AURORA'S deck.

And standing atop that platform...

An extraordinary looking quartet; their clothing cut in a style more reminiscent of the beginning of last century than anything else. (Is there something vaguely... familiar about them?) They would look old-fashioned, almost comical were it not for the strange, somewhat sinister animal helmet-cum-masks that adorn their faces and the strange-looking weaponry they carry; nothing old fashioned about that - it's very hi-tech, very unusual and looks to be very deadly.

One of the four is medium height, rather lean, a suggestion of whiskers visible beneath his mask. He wears a tweed jacket, with a silk cravat around his neck and a - yes, really - a straw boater hat perched at a jaunty angle atop his head. Good God, is that a
picnic hamper he's carrying?  Shocked

Next to him, a short, stockier fellow in dark jacket and waistcoat, his dark, long-nosed helm giving him a vaguely-sinister air, a pair of powerful, clawed gauntlets in evidence on his hands. He stands, whispering and chuckling to himself in a distinctly unnerving way.

Behind the pair of them towers a giant: Seven - eight feet tall? A mountain of sinew and muscle in plain, coarse rustic garb, a great ash stick the size of a small tree grasped in his huge, horny paws, glowering at the assembled guests from behind a grey mask marked with a vivid, vertical slash of black.

The fourth member of this bizarre group leaps suddenly into the air, his enormous girth landing on deck with a tremendous
'THOOOM' that tips the whole yacht briefly at a worrying angle, cueing more shrieks and wails from the terrified passengers.

Newcomer number four tips the top hat he wears to the assembled crowd, adjusts the monocle thrust into the eyehole of his somewhat green and warty mask, giggles like a naughty schoolboy and addresses the bewildered onlookers in booming, Bullingdon tones:


MISTER TOAD: I say, you fellows! Do be good chaps and chapesses and do as you're told, what? Rather not hurt you, perfectly happy to do so if you insist on it! Just cooperate and we'll all get along swimmingly! Terribly sorry; it's just that I've got a new craze, don't you know? And the craze happens to be crime! Ladies and gentlemen; you have the immense honour to be the first victims of - THE RIVERBANK GANG!! POOP-POOP!!!

Ratty? The picnic basket...

doctorx

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by doctorx on Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:03 pm

The WATER RAT jumps nimbly onto the AURORA'S deck, picnic basket of perfidy in hand...

MISTER RAT: All right, Toady, all right. Half a mo, there's a good fellow...

The gunmen clear him a space in front of the cowering crowd. He sets the basket down, nods cheerily to the assembled guests and then flips back the hamper's lid.

Within, all is wires, metal and an ominous-looking digital countdown clock, ticking away patiently in malevolent red numerals. The RAT bends over it, concentrating intently...


MISTER TOAD: Yes, that's the wheeze! You see, you folks are so terribly free with your money when you think it might benefit you or yours! Well, it just so happens it could benefit me and mine just as much, and this here's a teensy little incentive to help you part with it! You have - (Sorry, how long, Ratty..?)

MISTER RAT:(Slight irritation) Twenty minutes, Toady. Do try to pay attention, there's a good chap...

MISTER TOAD: TWENTY MINUTES to part with the swag! And in order to help you do it...

A sudden fusillade of electronic noises as everybody who's anybody's mobile starts to ping simultaneously...

MISTER TOAD: Yes, do answer, there's good fellows! You'll find details of where you deposit the money in the text! Don't get your hopes up! It won't be traceable; we've seen to that! (A SNORTED GIGGLE) I say! We have been most terribly clever, don't you know..?

MISTER RAT:(UNDER HIS BREATH) Harrumph; who's 'we..?'

Meanwhile, the giant has picked poor DAVID TENANT up by his expensive lapels...

MISTER BADGER:(A BROAD GLASWEIGIAN ACCENT) "Jon Pertwee kicks my @$$" - Say it.

The terrified actor mutters something vaguely along these lines. Whatever it is, the BADGER seems relatively satisfied.

MISTER BADGER: Guid boy. Now: Go regenerate...

He sends TENANT flying to crash down onto a food-laden table. Squeals of outrage and horror from numerous young waitresses who rush to the stricken former Doctor's aid...

Elsewhere, the fourth member of the nefarious foursome has poor COSPLAY backed into a corner... (The astute observer may perhaps notice one of CHAVBUSTER'S trainered feet disappearing beneath the white cloth covering a nearby table...)


MISTER MOLE: Can you do Zatanna..?

COSPLAY: 'O... 'Oo..?

MISTER MOLE: You know; Zatanna - Justice League: Top hat, tails... (BREATHING A LITTLE HEAVILY) Fishnet stockings, (hhuurrhmm...) Go on; do Zatanna...

COSPLAY:(LOOKING AROUND DESPAIRINGLY) 'E... 'Elp...!!  pale

doctorx

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by BigBadJohn on Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:16 pm

There is a faint blur of motion in the night air between the stage and Mole.
"You, sir, are an ungentlemanly rapscallion!" calls a voice from the shadows.
A second blur reaches out with blinding speed to Badger.
"And if you want to compare a great comic actor backed by a phenomenal production team to a serious thespian backed by a team of fanboys, some would say you're talking chalk and cheese. But perhaps we should DISCUS it in a more civilised manner?"

A dark male silhouette walks smoothly onto the stage, the lights at first revealing only the bearing and broad physique of an athlete. As he approaches the front of the stage, an odd silver-grey disc the size of a dinner plate shoots back from the direction of Badger into an outstretched hand, which he holds extended for a moment before bringing it to rest edge-on in front of his chest in a curiously formal gesture. His other hand already holds a similar disc ready at his side. As he surveys the auditorium with a stern sweep of his gaze, the spotlights show a dark blue costume which seems to shimmer slightly and covers all but his eyes and the lower face, and is broken only by a white star on each shoulder and a white waistband.

Discus: "Hold the phones, Ladies and Gentlemen!

You can put the basket back below fellas; this evening isn’t going to be your picnic.

You gentlemen in black will kindly engage your safety catches and depart. I recognise professionals when I see them, so you should realise you’re not going to get paid enough for tonight’s engagement, and if I have to come round and discuss it with you myself you won’t enjoy the experience.

<To Toad> As for you, not only have you rather rudely interrupted the show, you’ve also gatecrashed a private party being held in a very good cause. I suggest you tuck your tails between your legs and withdraw to your riverbank. NOW."

BigBadJohn

Posts : 28
Join date : 2014-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by doctorx on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:21 pm

The Riverbankers continue to chortle and sneer, seemingly enjoying the discomfort of the captive guests, many of whom are reaching hastily for beeping mobiles and starting to tap keys rapidly.

At this point GARY BLAKE gives his wife's hand an encouraging pat, detaches himself from the throng and approaches MISTER TOAD.


HELEN BLAKE:(REACHING OUT TO HIM IN ALARM) Gary, no!!

PHILIP AKER holds GARY'S wife back as Sphere's CEO squares up to the bloated amphibious interloper.

GARY BLAKE: This is my party and I don't remember seeing you on the guest list. What is it you want here?

MISTER TOAD: Gary Blake! My, don't we look chipper? So glad to see you up and about, old horse! As I said, we don't want much; just a glass of bubbly, a vol au vent or three and a cool few billion in dear old pounds sterling, don't you know? (INDICATING GARY'S URGENTLY BEEPING PHONE) I say, You really might want to answer that, by the by; I'm a complete duffer when it comes to high explosives, but Ratty's an absolute WHIZZ with them, don't you know? (PULLING OUT A POCKET WATCH AND GLANCING AT IT) That's about seventeen minutes to go, what?

At this point, DISCUS makes his spectacular appearance...

DISCUS attacks MOLE. Dice roll: 4 + 13 = 17. Partial Success. Damage (D6): 2 KILL and 4, 5, 5, 4, 4, 1, 2 + 18 = 43 STUN.. MISTER MOLE squawks and is knocked flying into a tableful of fondant fancies...

DISCUS attacks BADGER. Dice roll: 18 + 13 = 31! Emphatic Success! Damage (D10): 6 KILL and 9, 5, 10, 4, 3, 8, 8 + 18 = 65 STUN.  Which seems to largely bounce off the behemoth-like BADGER. ( Shocked ) It does get his attention, though. He turns his striped head slowly to DISCUS with a growl...

...at which point pretty much every gun in the place turns on him...


MISTER TOAD: Egad! What's this? Some costumed weasel making mischief with our malarkey? To arms, my fellow Riverbankers! Time for the Return of Ulysses!

MISTER MOLE:(WIPING PINK AND WHITE ICING FROM HIS JACKET AND GLOWERING AT DISCUS MALEVOLENTLY) Oh my, oh my...

He reaches inside his waistcoat and throws something to the floor. Instantly the MOLE is surrounded by a cloud of roiling black smoke. From somewhere within the cloud we hear COSPLAY give a half-stifled yelp of alarm...

Meanwhile, the BADGER, who had been tipping a plate of pastries down his neck, looks up in irritation.


MISTER BADGER: Can a fella nae get a bite tae eat wi'out some numpty sticken' his shiny oar in? Aye, well... See you, fancy-boy! C'mere!

And he charges straight at the stage, scattering guests, furniture and anything else unfortunate enough to get in his way...

Back at the original disturbance, the Special Branch officers have surrounded the Minister and his wife and appear to be trying to hustle them to some semblance of safety. At the same time the phantom waiter appears to be having a conversation of some sort with the Asian woman, which ends surprisingly in the latter stepping to one side and waving the ghost forward with a polite (if perhaps a slightly mocking) bow.

At which the ghostly waiter charges straight towards the terrible TOAD...


POST ALTERED TO SHOW RESULTS OF DISCUS' ATTACKS ON MOLE AND BADGER.

doctorx

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by doctorx on Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:54 pm

A very rough map of the current situation showing positioning of the main combatants (who have currently revealed themselves):

Pl. . .l. . .l. . .l. . .l. . .l S
Ol. . .l. . .D. . .l. . .l. .l T
Rl- - - - - stage- - - - l A
Tl. . .l. . .l. . .l. . .l. . .l R
~l. . .l. . .l. . .l. . .l. . .l B
~l. s .l. s l. s .l. . .l. . .l O
~l. s .l .s l. s .l. . .l. . .l A
~l. s .l. s l. s .l. . .l. . .l R
~l. . .l. . .l. . .l. B .l. . .l D
~l. . .l. . .l. . .l. . .l. . .l ~
~l. t .l. .GR.  .l. . .l. . .l ~
~l. t .l. . .l. . .l. . .l. t .l ~
~l. t .l. . .l. T .l. . .l. t .l ~S
~l. t .l. . .l. . .l. . .l. t .l ~ U
~l. t .l. . .l. . .R. . .l. t .l ~B
~l. t .l. . .l. . .l. . .l. t .l ~
~l. . .l. . .l. . .l. . .l. . .l ~
~l. . .l. . .l. . .l. . .l. . .l ~
~l. . .HELICOPTER 2  .l ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

D = DISCUS
GR = GHOST RUNNER

B = BADGER
T = TOAD
R = RAT

t = THUG

s = Cloud of smoke concealing MOLE and COSPLAY

~ = Water

doctorx

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by doctorx on Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:10 pm

COMBAT ROUND ONE:

INITIATIVE: (D6): HEROES: 3.
VILLAINS: 2.

Heroes win by 1. DISCUS and THE GHOST RUNNER have 1 panel to act before the Riverbankers can.

Your intentions, please.

doctorx

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by kevinrolfe on Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:09 pm

Ghost Runner. will leap at and try to grappel Toad, he'll try a head butt if he can

kevinrolfe

Posts : 286
Join date : 2012-03-28
Location : West Sussex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by BigBadJohn on Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:48 pm

Discus, worried that Badger may reach him rather quickly(!) will pull a pouch from his waistband and toss the contents onto the deck between him and Badger, and as the steel ball bearings roll towards the charging Badger, direct them to roll in front of his feet and hopefully make him slip up!

BigBadJohn

Posts : 28
Join date : 2014-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by doctorx on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:58 pm

kevinrolfe wrote:Ghost Runner. will leap at and try to grappel Toad, he'll try a head butt if he can

Grappling and headbutting both require solidity. At present the GHOST RUNNER is in intangible form. It'll take him his panel to return to his solid state. Is that what you want him to do?

doctorx

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by doctorx on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:06 pm

BigBadJohn wrote:Discus, worried that Badger may reach him rather quickly(!) will pull a pouch from his waistband and toss the contents onto the deck between him and Badger, and as the steel ball bearings roll towards the charging Badger, direct them to roll in front of his feet and hopefully make him slip up!

DISCUS lets his ball bearings fly in an attempt to impede the charge of the rampaging BADGER...

D20: 02 + 7 = 09. Failure!

... but our hero's new to this and it shows! Embarassed  The steel balls fly wildly, failing to slow the ominous onrushing omnivore... Shocked

doctorx

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by kevinrolfe on Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:48 pm

yes it is, Ghost runner will go solid

kevinrolfe

Posts : 286
Join date : 2012-03-28
Location : West Sussex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by doctorx on Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:41 pm

The villains respond (1 panel each)…

THE BADGER closes on the stage at an alarming rate of knots, snatching up a large table and scattering white sheets and sandwiches in all directions. He is now close enough to strike at DISCUS…

THE TOAD observes the GHOST RUNNER'S approach with a sneer and a raise of a warty eyebrow.

MISTER TOAD: What’s this? The servant classes in revolt? You’ll work zero-hours contracts and like it, you benefits-claiming, probably Southern European yobbo! I’ll show you…

And the amoral amphibian promptly SWELLS to half again his size, an ominous, emerald balloon, seemingly on the verge of bursting…

THE WATER RAT observes the proceedings with a sigh and a twitch of his whiskers, before barking into his helmet microphone in clipped, commanding tones...


MISTER RAT: Code KG8359/6732: The Piper at the Gates of Dawn – Engage!

And with a hiss and buzz of activated technology, his right arm is promptly encased in a large, high-tech firearm, resembling a miniature smart-tech cannon more than anything else. He brings the whole assembly to bear on DISCUS, the weapon already beginning to buzz and whine with ominously-building power…

What the malevolent MOLE is up to within his cloud of darkness is anyone’s guess…

But elsewhere, the helicopter hovering over the yacht’s stern appears to be coming into land, and the gun-toting thugs appear to be in some confusion, falling back towards it haphazardly with much confused shouting.

And at the same time, the platform the Riverbankers used to board the AURORA is abruptly withdrawn with a grinding of gears, and the whole sub begins to submerge with a burst and bubbling of blown tanks…


MISTER RAT: Ahoy, fellow Riverbankers! Trouble to starboard! Something’s amiss with Portly!..

Thus ends Round One.

ROUND TWO INITIATIVE:
Dice roll:

HEROES: 1.
VILLAINS: 1.

It all happens simultaneously!

Your intentions, please…

doctorx

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by BigBadJohn on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:03 am

I believe that results in two panels, resolved in strict Agility order?
1. With a sweeping motion, Discus assumes a low fighting crouch, one discus held before him ready to parry, the other drawn back; if necessary, he moves to ensure that the hulking Badger obstructs Ratty's line of fire while also moving just out of Badger's reach in doing so; otherwise, if this is already the case, he launches the second discus straight at Badger, with the damage biased to Kill; (thinks) "It's like he didn't even feel one of my best shots! Maybe he didn't; they've got a gadgeteer, maybe Badger's got a force field, or maybe he's some kind of robot? Either way, perhaps I can break his toy if he won't play nicely?"
2. If the blow has not been landed, or had no effect, try again. If it appeared to have more effect this time, deliver a second blow biased to Stun.
Default combat response is to Parry.


Last edited by BigBadJohn on Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarifying conditional movement)

BigBadJohn

Posts : 28
Join date : 2014-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by Zenith's Back on Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:47 am

As the submarine dives, the spectral form of HOST rises through the deck and swirling water, bathed in an eerie blue glow - taking in the scene below him.
Silently he swoops downwards, becoming more tangible as he goes. Dodging any attacks he will snatch the bomb from the deck of the boat and head skywards.........
avatar
Zenith's Back

Posts : 55
Join date : 2014-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by doctorx on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:21 pm

ROUND TWO:

Okay, in terms of Agility, the order for all revealed combatants will be as follows:

MISTER RAT.
THE GHOST RUNNER.
DISCUS.

MISTER BADGER/MISTER TOAD.(Simultaneous.)
MISTER MOLE.
HOST.

Over to Ratty to start things off...

doctorx

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by doctorx on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:40 pm

(Okay, just re-read the new Energy Blast rules and I'm still struggling to translate them into terms I understand, ( scratch) but near as I can figure it, the following happens...)

The RAT sees HOST'S spectral form emerging from the deep, mutters something distinctly unlikely to be read in a beloved children's classic under his breath, brings his gun arm to bear on the ghostly newcomer and FIRES!

Dice roll: 17 + 9 = 26! HIT!

A banshee howl of unleashed sonic fury erupts from the Rat's hand cannon, shattering glass, windows and quite possibly eardrums of all in the rascally rodent's immediate vicinity as the barrage thunders skywards to envelop the diving HOST...

Working on the basis that HOST has two panels of his own to use further down the line, he can use one now in an attempt to Dodge. If he still wants to turn tangible, that will use up his second panel.

HOST'S intentions, please?

doctorx

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by Zenith's Back on Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:22 am

Unsure of the effect of a sonic blast on his intangible form Host uses a frame to try and dodge the attack.
Sticking to the plan unless he needs to react to something else frame 2 he continues to swoop while going tangible. Default response to a striking attack is dodge......
avatar
Zenith's Back

Posts : 55
Join date : 2014-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by doctorx on Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:40 pm

HOST attempts to Dodge the WATER RAT'S barrage...

Dice roll: 10 + 11 = 21. Success!

... and the phantasmal form gracefully evades the RAT'S cannon-blast as it ghosts down towards the deck...

(It'll take HOST a panel to reach the bomb. After that he'll need to go tangible to grab it).

DISCUS, GHOST RUNNER - you're up! How do you wish to proceed?

doctorx

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by BigBadJohn on Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:31 am

Since Ratty is occupied, Discus will get on with business and strike at Badger, trying to break through his defences; damage to Kill to see if that works!

BigBadJohn

Posts : 28
Join date : 2014-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by doctorx on Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:17 pm

Damage to KILL. Can I just please ask for confirmation that is your intent?

doctorx

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by doctorx on Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:29 pm

(In the meantime, I’ll assume the GHOST RUNNER still intends to head-butt the TOAD…

Dice roll: 19 + 3 = 22. Hit!

…who will attempt to dodge the ill-mannered waiter’s assault upon his august and well-padded personage…

Dice roll: 15 + 6 = 21.Success!)

… and, with a cry of “BAA-WHOOOP!!” the emerald interloper shoots skywards, sailing through the air like an over-dressed blimp, before beginning to come down on the GHOST RUNNER with an ominous and increasing resemblance to the proverbial ton of bricks…

(I believe the GHOST RUNNER has one panel left. How do you want to use it?)

doctorx

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by BigBadJohn on Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:19 am

doctorx wrote:Damage to KILL. Can I just please ask for confirmation that is your intent?

As previously stated, Discus suspects that Badger may have a "solid" forcefield, as he seemed to be barely touched by a solid strike, one as good as Discus can hope to deliver. Kill damage is generally the only way to overcome such a defence, hence the call.

However, Discus (and I!) may have overreacted. So, if it's OK I will substitute a more cautious call-

Discus strikes at Badger, aiming to STUN, but also focussing on the discus in his hand as it approaches contact; he wants to be aware whether the discus is slowed at all BEFORE impact. I believe he would use Energy Sense (Kinetic Energy) to be as sure as possible of this.

BBJ

BigBadJohn

Posts : 28
Join date : 2014-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum