ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by doctorx on Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:47 pm

So be it. DISCUS lashes out at the onrushing omnivore...

Dice roll: 13 + 13 = 26. Success!

...which the BADGER attempts to parry with his table...

Dice roll: 3. tongue Failure!

...and utterly fails to do so!

Damage: (D10). KILL: 5. STUN: 10, 9, 8, 3, 1, 2, 7 = 40 + 18 = 58!

DISCUS lands a blow in the BADGER'S midriff with a satisfying WHUUMMPPFF!! The giant visibly staggers at the knees, but he's still standing and gearing up to squash DISCUS flat with the massive table he's still brandishing...

As I understand it you have 1 panel left. Your intentions?

DISCUS' ENERGY SENSE is pretty certain there's no force-field or similar surrounding the BADGER - he's just very durable...

doctorx

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by BigBadJohn on Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:56 pm

Since the Badger is apparently not invulnerable, Discus will continue swinging at him!

BigBadJohn

Posts : 28
Join date : 2014-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by kevinrolfe on Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:44 pm

Ghost runner will become intangible.

kevinrolfe

Posts : 286
Join date : 2012-03-28
Location : West Sussex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by doctorx on Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:51 pm

So be it! DISCUS lashes out again at the BADGER, determined to put him down:

Dice roll: DISCUS: 6 + 13 = 19. Success!  KILL Damage: 5. STUN Damage: 0, 2, 8, 0, 9, 1, 5 + 18 = 63!

But the malevolent mammal manages to swing its table to intercept:

MISTER BADGER: Dice roll: 17 + 2 = 19. Success! KILL Damage Absorbed: 6. STUN Damage absorbed:  0,8 + 15 +32 = 65!

The long table smashes into splinters as it flies apart under DISCUS’ blow. Our hero finds himself standing face-to-face (given that he’s up on the raised stage) with the massive Wild Wood woe-bringer, whose hands are balling into fists, a murderous growl rising from his throat…

Simultaneously, the GHOST RUNNER shifts back into intangibility as the batrachian bombshell descends on him…


MISTER TOAD: Dice Roll: 13 + 2 + 5 = 20. Success!

Or it would be if he wasn’t trying to squash a ghost…

The TOAD’S “WHOOOP!” turns into a "WHOOOAAAAAAHH..!!” as he smashes straight through the yacht’s deck and disappears down below decks, croaking indignantly all the while… The AURORA shudders ominously…


(If the GHOST RUNNER wants to avoid dropping down along with him he’ll need to sacrifice a future panel to dodge off the collapsing decking…)

The BADGER has used up his panels trying to fend off DISCUS’ attacks, so no rolls for him here.

But what of the malevolent MOLE..?


Last edited by doctorx on Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:02 pm; edited 7 times in total

doctorx

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by doctorx on Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:17 pm

Meanwhile, during the furious melee, the cloud of black smoke into which the MOLE and the unfortunate COSPLAY disappeared has been growing in size and creeping slowly towards the stage. As the thunderous KERRRRRASSSSHH!!! of the BADGER’S table disintegrating dies away, DISCUS becomes aware of a casually-conversational voice whispering from the roiling darkness…

MISTER MOLE: Oh my, oh my! That’s quite the punch you have there, Mister… Discus, is it? Interesting fact about moles, by the by; Did you know the average mole when digging generates a force thirty times its own body weight, whereas the strongest human weight-lifter can’t even manage a force three times theirs? Now, I don’t want to be - indelicate, but what do you imagine a paw like that could do to the face of this pretty little poppet I’ve got here, unless of course you stop thumping Mister Badger right now and let him squash you flat like a good chap? I’m sure we wouldn’t want to have to test the physics of the situation, would we now, pumpkin?

From somewhere within the cloud, COSPLAY give a muffled squeal…

doctorx

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by doctorx on Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:30 pm

Zenith's Back - Any changes to HOST'S orders before I roll the dice? Smile

doctorx

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by Zenith's Back on Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:13 pm

That depends on if HOST heard any of that as I wasn't around when Mole made his move originally - if we didn't he'll stick to the plan, if he did there may be a rethink........
avatar
Zenith's Back

Posts : 55
Join date : 2014-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by doctorx on Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:21 pm

Very good. In that case, HOST lands, turns tangible and grabs at the bomb...

The RAT gives a yelp of outraged indignation.


MISTER RAT: OI! Paws off! That's MINE!!

(DOCTOR CERULEAN; FLARE - You are now cleared to post in-game! Can I ask your intentions, please? Smile)


doctorx

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by kevinrolfe on Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:21 pm

(If the GHOST RUNNER wants to avoid dropping down along with him he’ll need to sacrifice a future panel to dodge off the collapsing decking…)

(Sacrificed)

kevinrolfe

Posts : 286
Join date : 2012-03-28
Location : West Sussex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by Jason45 on Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:37 pm

Dr Cerulean leaps out of the helicopter , acrobatically tumbles towards Mr Rat and strikes to stun with his shield.

"Fear the wrath of Justice evil do-er' he cries.

Jason45

Posts : 8
Join date : 2014-06-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by doctorx on Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:05 pm

O.O.C: Sorry for the slight hiatus. Just giving a couple of players a chance to catch up. Smile

In the mean time, initiative roll for...


ROUND THREE:

HEROES:1. Crying or Very sad
VILLAINS: 4. Twisted Evil

The bad guys win by 3 panels...

doctorx

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by Zenith's Back on Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:16 pm

Should Rat decide to take another shot and hits, Host will sacrifice a panel to dodge again.......
avatar
Zenith's Back

Posts : 55
Join date : 2014-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by BigBadJohn on Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:21 am

Discus thinks: Cosplay is a public figure; does she have any known abilities besides shape shifting, and is it known whether it's true shape shifting or an illusion? I'm no help to anyone including Cosplay if I let Badger hammer me into the deck, but there's no knowing if Mole would actually injure her, and I've got to do something for her! I recall a movie where the supposed advice was to surprise the hostage taker into leaving himself open by shooting the hostage, non-fatally of course, but I can't even see the hostage... is there any movement in Mole's cloud that my kinetic energy sense can lock onto? Guessing Mole can see out of his cloud, but likely nobody else can...

Suspect Or can he? Moles have very good hearing, is that all he can do?!?


Last edited by BigBadJohn on Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Developing suspicion!)

BigBadJohn

Posts : 28
Join date : 2014-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by doctorx on Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:42 pm

BigBadJohn wrote:Discus thinks: Cosplay is a public figure; does she have any known abilities besides shape shifting, and is it known whether it's true shape shifting or an illusion? I'm no help to anyone including Cosplay if I let Badger hammer me into the deck, but there's no knowing if Mole would actually injure her, and I've got to do something for her! I recall a movie where the supposed advice was to surprise the hostage taker into leaving himself open by shooting the hostage, non-fatally of course, but I can't even see the hostage... is there any movement in Mole's cloud that my kinetic energy sense can lock onto? Guessing Mole can see out of his cloud, but likely nobody else can...

Suspect Or can he? Moles have very good hearing, is that all he can do?!?

O.O.C: COSPLAY is a contestant on SQUADRON H-FACTOR – a reality TV contest giving various wannabes the chance to prove they’ve 'got what it takes' to be a Superhero. Each contestant who makes the televised rounds is granted a random ‘Superpower.’ (How that power is generated is a closely-guarded TV secret). Given that this isn't exactly what you'd call quality telly, COSPLAY’s ‘power’ appears to be illusion-based and to consist of little more than making herself as telegenic as possible! (It certainly hasn’t done her any harm in the audience votes, despite the sniping, acidic criticisms of Super-Judge-In-Chief MISTER WONDERFUL …)

I’d say using DISCUS' ENERGY SENSE to detect movement is something you could develop as a gimmick ,but is beyond you at this point.

As for whether the MOLE relies on his sight, his hearing or something else entirely… Who knows? confused

doctorx

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by steveraceuk on Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:42 pm

A blue glow ignites without warning from the side gangway and a strange figure strides into view. Clearly man shaped, the newcomers features are masked by the azure aura which ebbs and flows around his body. FLARE makes for RAT and raises his arm; energy crackles and shapes into a nucleus of blue fire at his fingertips.

OOC: FLARE's plan for this round is to attack RAT, giving HOST a chance to remove the bomb.
avatar
steveraceuk
Admin

Posts : 195
Join date : 2012-03-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by doctorx on Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:52 pm

(Hi, all! Sorry for the slow response – an unexpectedly busy week. Here we go again…)

ROUND THREE:

The gun-toting thugs jump back from the open copter hatchway as if they have been stung as a cloaked, hooded figure, an ornate, odd-looking shield on his arm, explodes into view, hurtling skywards to be briefly silhouetted against the resplendent moon, before landing agilely on deck, letting fly a wonderfully Silver-Age battle-cry…

DOCTOR CERULEAN: FEAR THE WRATH OF JUSTICE, EVIL-DOER!!

Almost simultaneously, a strange, unearthly figure surrounded by an aurora of blue fire enters the fray, striding purposefully towards MISTER RAT, one arm raised with ominous intent…

THE RAT’S beady eyes dart from HOST to the cloaked newcomer to the fiery entity, calculating the odds and apparently not liking them…


MISTER RAT: Moly! Toad! Badger! Hurry up, will you? The do-gooding blighters are starting to swarm! (AT THE DOCTOR WITH A SNARL) Fear the wrath of Ratty, pillock..!

(To determine target, I’ll roll D10. As both DOCTOR CERULEAN and FLARE are trying to draw his focus, let’s say RAT fires at: 1-4: DOCTOR CERULEAN, 5-8:FLARE, 9-0: HOST. Dice roll for three shots: 7, 7, 2: Two shots at FLARE, one at the DOCTOR. HOST is clear to grab the bomb!)

DICE ROLL: (At FLARE): 8 +9 = 17. 15 + 9 = 24!  Minor success and Success!
DICE ROLL: (At DOCTOR CERULEAN): 6 + 9 = 15. Minor success!


THE RAT blasts away, a little panic-stricken perhaps, as his normally-accurate shots flying a trifle wild...

(Combat responses, gentlemen?)

doctorx

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by Jason45 on Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:56 am

Dr cerulean will take the pain and close to strike mr ratt hoping his tumbling will help reduce the Damage.

Jason45

Posts : 8
Join date : 2014-06-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by doctorx on Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:55 pm

(Okay - trying to get my head round the new Energy Attack rules is giving me a headache frankly, and I don't want to slow things down any more, so I'm going Old-School on this until I can work out what on Earth's supposed to happen! So there!  scratch  Mad   tongue   Laughing

Which translates as: RATTY gets two blasts off - one hitting FLARE, one clipping DOCTOR CERULEAN.)


Damage to the DOCTOR: 3D6 STUN = 11, 2D6 KILL = 9.

Old-school energy attacks reduce Damage Dividers by 2 if I recall aright, so the DOCTOR takes full damage. Which stings, but doesn't slow him up all that much...

While I'm waiting on FLARE'S response to the attack (no worries - I know Steve's busy), let's see what the other bad guys are up to...

Specifically, MISTER BADGER is about to attempt to flatten DISCUS. Can I please ask for an update as to our hero's intentions, given the whispered threats to the captive COSPLAY from the maniacal MOLE..?


(Can I please ask anyone who has yet to post their character in the PLAYER HEROES thread to please do so? It makes it a little easier for me to keep track of what's going on. Cheers.  Smile )

doctorx

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by Zenith's Back on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:25 pm

Given that HOST didn't hear the whispers and now has a clear run to the bomb he continues with the plan to fly it clear - does it have a countdown display?
avatar
Zenith's Back

Posts : 55
Join date : 2014-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by doctorx on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:41 pm

It certainly does! The clock reads 13 Minutes and (rolls dice) 8 Seconds!!

Tick, tick, tick...

doctorx

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by BigBadJohn on Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:26 am

doctorx wrote:Meanwhile, during the furious melee, the cloud of black smoke into which the MOLE and the unfortunate COSPLAY disappeared has been growing in size and creeping slowly towards the stage. As the thunderous KERRRRRASSSSHH!!! of the BADGER’S table disintegrating dies away, DISCUS becomes aware of a casually-conversational voice whispering from the roiling darkness…

MISTER MOLE: Oh my, oh my! That’s quite the punch you have there, Mister… Discus, is it? Interesting fact about moles, by the by; Did you know the average mole when digging generates a force thirty times its own body weight, whereas the strongest human weight-lifter can’t even manage a force three times theirs? Now, I don’t want to be - indelicate, but what do you imagine a paw like that could do to the face of this pretty little poppet I’ve got here, unless of course you stop thumping Mister Badger right now and let him squash you flat like a good chap? I’m sure we wouldn’t want to have to test the physics of the situation, would we now, pumpkin?

From somewhere within the cloud, COSPLAY give a muffled squeal…

DISCUS (aloud): You hurt the girl, you torturing blackguard, and you'll have nothing to stop me hurting YOU! (He sneers daggers at Badger) Take your best shot now if you need the help from that despicable coward!

Discus is genuinely outraged, but opts to buy some more time for Cosplay and the others and is watching Badger's fists closely and shifting his weight subtly; he means to roll with the blow (aiming for a partial dodge with his force field taking the brunt of the halved damage) as it comes in, ideally without Badger realising he made any combat response at all, but trying to ensure he ends up well out of Badger's reach, throw himself into the dodge so that he tumbles away across the stage as if hit solidly. If he gets knocked into the wings, great, out of sight is ideal, otherwise he'll have to fake being KO'ed.
Standing up to this situation as it is could get an innocent badly hurt, so fakery is the only way to buy time he can think of, bar shooting blind into the cloud. Need a way to dispel that cloud... Find a fire extinguisher or a hose backstage perhaps?

BigBadJohn

Posts : 28
Join date : 2014-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by steveraceuk on Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:15 pm

FLARE will not use a Combat Response this round as it would spoil the dramatic effect.
He'll rely on his force field to take the damage.

(OOC: Apologies for not having been around much. I'm also about to go on holiday on Sunday for two weeks and so won't be around until mid-April. Promise i'll be more active then)
avatar
steveraceuk
Admin

Posts : 195
Join date : 2012-03-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by doctorx on Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:44 pm

No worries! Thanks for letting me know! Smile

doctorx

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISSUE ONE: 'The Very Air is Filled with Monsters...'

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum