The Eagle's Nest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dodging Judo Throw response?

3 posters

Go down

Dodging Judo Throw response? Empty Dodging Judo Throw response?

Post by foleypt Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:02 pm

Imagine a situation with 2 characters A and B both good dodgers and both with Martial Arts and the Judo Throw gimmick

If a character A attacks B and hits but B successfully dodges and then successfully Judo throws A, can A try to dodge the judo throw attack of B and then in fact retaliate by trying to Judo throw B?

Can this continue until one of them either misses a dodge or a judo throw or else ends up more than 5 panels in arrears?

I personally think that should be the case because I have a player who is heavily invested in dodge (total of +7 ) it is almost impossible to hit them, it just seems unfair that one of the biggest dangers for them would be to go up against a character with MA judo throw (which is now a gimmick not an extra power level)

Here is how I assume a fight would go between to perfect dodgers and judo throwers

Assume A wins initiative by 5 panels and attacks B (A 4 Panels B 0 Panels)
B dodges (A 4 Panels B -1 Panels)
B judo throws (A 4 Panels B -2 Panels)
A dodges (A 3 Panels B -2 Panels)
A judo throws(A 2 Panels B -2 Panels)
B dodges(A 2 Panels B -3 Panels)
B judo throws(A 2 Panels B -4 Panels)
A dodges (A 1 Panels B -4 Panels)
A judo throws(A 0 Panels B -4 Panels)
B dodges(A 0 Panels B -5 Panels)

A cannot attack more, B cannot attack in his round as he refreshes all the panels in arrears, although this might seem a pain to have to play through, the reality is that one of them will eventually fail a roll and also the alternative illustrated below seems unfair

A wins initiative by 5 panels and attacks B (A 4 Panels B 0 Panels)
B dodges (A 4 Panels B -1 Panels)
B judo throws (A 4 Panels B -2 Panels) A gets hurt!
A attacks B  (A 3 Panels B -2 Panels)
B dodges (A 3 Panels B -3 Panels)
B judo throws (A 3 Panels B -4 Panels) A gets hurt!
A attacks B  (A 2 Panels B -4 Panels)
B dodges (A 2 Panels B -5 Panels)
A attacks B  (A 1 Panels B -5 Panels) B gets hurt!
A attacks B  (A 0 Panels B -5 Panels) B gets hurt!

because although A and B get hurt the same amount of times A is the one that gets hurt first and they are the one that won initiative and against a strong enough opponent they won't survive to be able to do their damage

Anyone got opinions on this?

foleypt

Back to top Go down

Dodging Judo Throw response? Empty Re: Dodging Judo Throw response?

Post by steveraceuk Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:45 pm

I'm sending up the Kev signal for this one. And welcome, by the way.
steveraceuk
steveraceuk
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinrolfe Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:10 pm

I will have a re read of the rules and let you know, and ditto with the welcome

kevinrolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinrolfe Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:20 pm

Dodge
If an attack strikes, the target may attempt to Dodge. This must be announced and resolved in between the attack striking and the damage being rolled. The player cannot wait to see if the damage rolled is high or low before deciding to react.

If the target is dodging an attack from a “normal” human – for example a Thug – the dodge takes no time.

If they are dodging an attack from a significant opponent, like a Supervillain, this takes future panels. The target loses a panel for the dodge – whether the dodge is successful or not. If the target has already used 5 future panels, they may not dodge any attacks – even those from normal opponents. To dodge the target rolls a d20, adds their Agility Skill modifier and tries to get equal to or higher than 18. If the dodge roll succeeds, the damage is avoided completely. If total of 15, 16 or 17 is achieved, the Kill and Stun damage are both halved (rounding halves down).

Answer, I think is

The dodgefest goes on for a max 5 rounds before running out of carried over panels. Or at least that's my reading of it.

If it was me, it would depend on the fight, will add to the story then keep rolling, is it funny, is everyone enjoying it, keep rolling, if it adds nothing and is a damp squip, then a cinematic Fight might be better

kevinrolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by foleypt Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:57 pm

Thanks for the welcome everybody and the rules adjudication!

I am preparing for a scenario to be played on Saturday and if I think of any more rules problems I'll be sure to be back

foleypt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum